serves 4 as a pasta sauce
Another recipe on our ‘most popular list’. This basic tomato sauce is packed with flavour and can be blended smooth or chunky depending on your family’s preferences. It’s a great base for pizzas, pasta, bolognaise, lasagne, chilli and anything needing a rich tomato base. And look at the veggies we are sneaking in!
Delicious served over pasta. Makes an excellent tomato base for pizzas. Can also be used as a sauce for chicken or fish or used as a dip for vegetables and pitta bread. Freezes well.
Try something different…
- Add other coloured peppers, aubergine, celery, a handful of parsley and /or basil to your sauce… a great way to get children eating some healthy veg.
- If you don’t have balsamic vinegar, substitute for a tablespoon of sugar.
Did you know?
- Tomatoes are a great source of vitamin A and C.
- Although the tomato is closely associated with Italian and Mediterranean cooking, the tomato originally comes from America and was only first introduced to Europe in the 16th century.
- For more information about tomatoes visit: www.thetomatozone.co.uk
*Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet for an adult. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs. Infants and Toddlers will need less calories according to their age.
Click here for advice on how many calories your child needs.