This month, we launch the first in a new series of cook and learn activities inspired by popular children’s books.
Storytime Chefs is our virtual reading and cookery club for families with children aged 2-10 years, and we are kicking off with a book I’ve shared with many of our community-based family cookery classes - The Rainbow Fish, by Marcus Pfister.
What’s The Rainbow Fish about?
The most beautiful fish in the ocean is asked to share one of his shining scales with a little blue fish, which he refuses. All the other fish in the sea leave him alone, and he wonders why. He goes to the wise octopus for advice, and she tells him to give away his scales. Rainbow Fish reluctantly does so, except for one. In the end, he is less beautiful then he was before, but he has new friends and is now the happiest fish in the sea.
We've put together two beautiful child-approved recipes to make with your children:
Where to get hold of a copy of The Rainbow Fish:
Or don’t forget to check your local library.
By shopping with the links we have provided, we may earn a small referral commission which goes straight back into our community outreach projects for vulnerable families It also doesn’t cost you anymore. Thank you!
Join the Storytime Chef Fun – Here’s How:
- Please leave a comment below, saying that you’re joining Storytime Chefs this month and reading The Rainbow Fish.
- Join our friendly Facebook group STORYTIME CHEFS for shopping lists and bonus activities covering art, crafts, science and links with the curriculum.
- Get a copy of the book using the links above or from your local library.
- Read the book together…
- ….then bring the kids into the kitchen and cook our featured recipes together.
- I would LOVE for you to share your photos on Instagram using the hashtag: #StorytimeChefs and please tag me too (@organiccookeryschool).
- Tune in next month for another book-themed recipe.